Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Sneak Peek of the Souvenir Lifestyle Holiday Issue, Paperwhites, and a Warehouse Sale....


Hello!
I have a few things to share with you today.....
I first want to share with you a few sneak peaks of the Holiday issue of Souvenir Lifestyle Magazine.....
(and a sneak peek of our French Farmhouse Christmas line that is photographed in the first image for the Holiday issue of Souvenir, will be available next week : ) 


I can hardly wait to see the Holiday issue of Souvenir.....


The Souvenir Issue will be available digitally on November 12th.....
You will  also be able to purchase a printed copy on the 12th as well by visiting 

*********************************

I thought it would be fun to repost it since now is the time to get your paperwhites planted so you can enjoy them during the holidays.....


Paperwhites are one of the easiest bulbs to grow in the home....
If I can do it anyone can....
If you want to be able to enjoy these during the Christmas season, now is
the time to start planting these...
I love planting these with the kids.....


What you will need....
A few dishes....
I chose a variety of ironstone dishes from my collection.....
The last time I planted these (which was a few years ago)
I got a little crazy and filled every dish imaginable...
I tried to keep myself under control this time....


You will need to fill your dish half way full of pebbles.
I bought a bag of really cheap river pebbles at Lowe's.
Paperwhite bulbs contain all they need to grow, so you don't actually need soil....
However you can still plant them in soil if you wish....
I like to use pebbles.


Set your bulbs on top of the bed of pebbles with the roots facing down....


You can cram the bulbs together....
No need for spacing...


Add water...


Fill your dish with water just to the base of the bulb....


You don't want the bulb to be fully immersed into the water....
They will rot...


Set in a warm room....


In about five to six weeks you should see blooms...


If you want you can plant one bowl a week for the next couple of weeks so that you 
have a continuous supply of blooms during the holidays....


Be sure and check your water levels....


You can read more about paperwhites here....


They should start blooming by Christmas time......


Here is an image from last year.....
Bethany had tied ribbon around the paperwhites so they wouldn't fall over....

*************************************
On a final note......
I also wanted to tell you about a Warehouse Sale that Antiques from France
and William's Antiks will be holding next weekend in Benicia, CA......
You will be able to find a lot of french goodness at this warehouse sale....
French leather club chairs, bistro and wine items, baskets, benches enamelware,
vintage advertising, clocks, mannequins, pottery, vintage school maps and posters,
linens, champagne buckets, foosball tables, and tons of other unique items from France.....
The Sale starts.....
Friday November 16th & Saturday November 17th
9:00 am - 3pm
992 Jackson Street, Benicia, CA 94510
707-332-0890



I met William (William's Antiks) at the Chateau Sonoma Flea Market, and snapped a few pictures of his wonderful space..... He imports the most beautiful items from France.....
Here is a sampling of what William imports from France.....




I fell in love with these vintage french metal bins....


Vintage French Leather Club Chair



 Terry Littman (Antiques from France) is one of my favorite french importers......
I will have a few pictures of Antiques from France to share with you next week.....
I was excited to hear these two were teaming up to hold a warehouse sale together, and wanted to help spread the word....
Hope to see you at the sale.....

The Sale starts.....
Friday November 16th & Saturday November 17th
9:00 am - 3pm
992 Jackson Street, Benicia, CA 94510
707-332-0890

You can also find Terry Littman and William on facebook....





19 comments:

Burlap Luxe said...

Your paper white post is so beautiful, and as for the event would love to visit, but for now I am in Southern Ca. And so miss my home town Los Gatos Ca.
There is no place like the Bay Area...I use to love shopping at Lacy Ellens .
Thank you for sharing, I will make sure I visit your holiday shop and see what treasures I can take home with me.

Xox
Dore

The Cottager said...

thanks for the sneak peak! i might have to give the paper whites a try... i think it would be a great project with the kiddos.

WhiteWhispers2u said...

Good Day! Love Paper whites myself, yours always look so pretty.

I wanted to know about the French sale do they have a lot of furniture as well as the smaller items.We are looking for club chairs? I did try to call the number but no reply as of yet.

Thanks for any info you have, Kim
whitewhispers2u@yahoo.com

primjillie said...

The new issue looks lovely! Did you post preview pictures of your new farmhouse Christmas line or did I just not see them? I just see the paperwhites and the show in Benicia.....

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I used to live in Benicia and I loved it there. Oh do I wish I could go tp the French sale. Sounds wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Maria, I sincerely can not wait for the new Souvenir magazine to come out!! I always look forward to your article and photos!
And I really wish I lived closer so I could attend that wonderful warehouse sale, it looks fantastic!!
When will you be getting your dog beds listed in your shop? I have been looking forward to them:)
Have a beautiful day!~
Sincerely,
Melinda

Lilla Blanka said...

Thanks for another great post, Maria!
Lovely idea and very nice photos ♥

Big hug from Sweden
Mia

Anonymous said...

Maria- beautiful and thoughtful post! Hope to see you at the French warehouse sale!!! :) ang diehl

williamsantiks said...

Thanks so much for mentioning our upcoming warehouse sale. We haven't had one in several years & are really looking forward to it.
Merci!
Katie & William

French Grey said...

Maria,
What a wonderful post....excited to see your article in the new issue of Souvenir!
Thank you for reminding me to plant paperwhites, I love them! Wish I could go to the warehouse sale... maybe you'll lug some goodies with you on your next trip to Montana (hint hint)!!
Your photography is absolutely beautiful as always!

Blessings,
Cindy

kayce hughes said...

Your photography is beautiful. And if Nashville wasn't so far away I would be at that sale for sure!

Alison @ BaysideVintage said...

I am an Australian reader of Souvenir magazine, it's beautiful, I look forward to the holiday issue!

I import French vintage to Australia, too, and it was nice to see your feature on some US importers. The dream job, really! :)

Love visiting your site as always. Alison

Lara said...

Hi Maria,
I was so inspired after reading this post yesterday that I went out to Home Depot and got 3 bags of paperwhite bulbs! :) I found the "pea pebbles" in the outdoor garden area for only $2 for a big bag. I will be planting mine today - yay! I also wanted to mention that I got my BH&G magazine in the mail yesterday and was so delighted to see your wonderful article!!! You look so cute in the photos and I love the big shot of your white kitchen. The Souveneir sneak peek photos look incredible! Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Lara

Ann-Marie ~ Brambly said...

I have had great success with paperwhites. I remember the thrill I had the first time I saw them bloom in various little containers throughout my house.

My brother-in-law raves about Chateau Sonoma, but I haven't made it there yet.

Anne said...

Thank you for sharing how to plant paperwhites.I remember reading this last year but waited too long.This year I am going to get started! Beautiful photos as always!
xx
Anne

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm awed of how simple paperwhite is planted. I've never thought it was that easy. A pebble, a paperwhite and voila, you have a plant of paperwhite in your home. Thanks so much.
international gift delivery

Siobhan said...

Congratulations on being on the front cover! Well done. Your photos are always amazing, you are very tallented. Kindest regards, Siobhan

Anonymous said...

Just returned from the warehouse sale - what a disappointment! To anyone who is thinking of going - don't bother, unless you need an expensive leather club chair - half the warehouse is leather chairs. The rest is just a mish mash of uninteresting, poorly displayed pieces. I wasted bridge toll and gas for this sale. There's no signage outside to indicate where the sale is - just overall a really poor job - looks like it was thrown together at the last minute.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
reading your blog makes me feel happy. Your pics, your sense of style and your writing - I really like it. Keep on posting! :D
Interior design Miami